Equal Housing Opportunity
WILMOTH Group has pledged support, to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy, for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.
Fair Housing Act
The 1968 landmark federal Act prohibits discrimination in housing. It is against the federal law ( and most state laws) to take any of the following actions due to a person’s race, color, national origin, sex, religion, familial status or disability:
- Refuse to rent or sell housing.
- Refuse to negotiate for housing.
- Make housing unavailable or deny that housing is available.
- Set different terms, conditions or privileges for the sale or rental of housing.
- Advertise that housing is available only to persons of a certain race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or without handicap or children.
- Deny anyone access to or membership in any real estate service such as a multiple listing service
- Blockbusting is an unlawful tactic that involves approaching existing homeowners to frighten them into selling their home quickly and cheaply due to perceived changes in neighborhood demographics.
- Steering is unlawful and involves attempting to direct racial or ethnic classes to specific areas in an effort to maintain segregated living areas.
- Redlining is the act of lenders or insurance companies excluding geographic areas from obtaining services (specifically to certain neighborhoods) due to demographic patterns and ignoring the qualifications of the borrower or prospective homeowner.
- Deny or create different terms or conditions for a mortgage, home loan, insurance, or other real estate related transactions.
- Threaten, coerce or intimidate anyone exercising a fair housing right or assisting others in exercising those rights.
Realtor Obligations To Support Equal Opportunity
REALTOR’s (through the National Association of Realtors-NAR) also support equal opportunity on the basis of sexual orientation. Discrimination toward any person due to sexual orientation is now considered an ethical violation by any member. All WILMOTH Group licensees are members of NAR and are pledged to support it Code of Ethics. Specifically, Article 10 states:
Realtors® shall not deny equal professional services to any person for reasons of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Realtors® shall not be parties to any plan or agreement to discriminate against a person or persons on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Realtors®, in their real estate employment practices, shall not discriminate against any person or persons on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
WILMOTH Group supports NAR’s efforts to help buyers of any diverse background achieve the dream of owning or renting a home. WILMOTH Group embraces our country’s racial, ethnic, and sexual diversity and strives to make the benefits of real property available to all.